Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|Little boy abandoned in Egyptian church finally back with foster parents after yearlong battle -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|Little boy abandoned in Egyptian church finally back with foster parents after yearlong battle
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 07:49:09
Cairo — It started as a family feud over a Cairo apartment,Fastexy Exchange but descended into a national drama carried across Egypt's television airwaves. At the center of the saga is a little boy who was dragged through a custody battle framed by Egypt's unique rules on adoption, fostering and faith.
About five years ago, a Coptic Christian couple who'd been married for more than 25 years but couldn't have children of their own got a phone call from a priest. He said he'd found a newborn baby in the church's bathroom, and he wanted them to have the child.
The couple thought it was a miracle. They took the baby, forged a birth certificate and raised the boy as their own.
Four years later, the husband's niece, angry with her uncle over ownership of a home in Cairo, went to the police and told them that her uncle had kidnaped the boy. Crucially, she also said the boy was born to Muslim parents.
Police launched an investigation and ran a DNA test, which confirmed the boy is not the couple's biological son. The priest, the only person who could have testified about the events, had died.
The police took the boy away from the couple and placed him in an orphanage in February of last year.
"It is like he is in jail in the orphanage," Amal Ibrahim, the foster mother, told CBS News on Tuesday. "I have always had big hope in God… I trusted that God would reveal the truth. He is my son."
Under Egyptian regulations, a child of unknown parents is deemed Muslim by default, so the boy was renamed Yousef, instead of the Coptic name, Shenouda, which he'd been given by Ibrahim and her husband.
Adoption is not allowed in Egypt. Fostering is, but only by adults caring for children of the same faith. So, the Coptic couple were not eligible to foster the boy who had been declared Muslim.
The story swept across Egypt, and many people sympathized with the couple. They appeared regularly on TV and gained the support of prominent Egyptian writer and poet Fatima Naoot.
"I felt sympathy for the child, because I am a mother," Naoot told CBS News. "I felt so angry for the little boy going through all these dilemmas while he doesn't understand what's happening."
Naoot joined Ibrahim and her husband for TV interviews, helping them plead their case. She said she knew the boy's biological mother could be out there watching the drama unfold, but she still believed the foster mother was the best option for the little boy.
"One of them wants the boy and the other doesn't. That's a huge difference." Naoot told CBS News. "The biological mother is not mother enough."
As the foster parents gained support from the public, lawyers volunteered to help, and they soon took their case to court. After about six months, on March 18, an administrative court in Cairo said it couldn't rule in the case as it lacked jurisdiction, sapping the Coptic couple's hope of getting the boy back.
But then a few days later, on March 22, the highest religious authority in Egypt, Al-Azhar Al-Sharif, answered a query on one of its online platforms saying that a child with no parents should take on the faith of the people who find and care for them.
Given the influence Al-Azhar holds with Egyptian authorities, the foster couple found new reason to hope, and many believed the boy would soon be returned to them.
Then there was another plot twist.
The niece who initially reported the couple to the police appeared in a video saying she knew who the real biological mother was, claiming it was one of her cousins. The drama continued to play out on TV shows across Egypt last week, with new details and characters emerging all the time.
Finally, on Monday, a lawyer representing the couple, Naguib Gebrael, told CBS News the public prosecutor had conducted a new DNA test that proved the niece's cousin was not, in fact, the boy's biological mother.
The legal team submitted a new request for the boy to be returned to the couple, including Al-Azhar's statement and the church's testimony that the child had indeed been found in the church bathroom.
The North Cairo Prosecutor's office issued a decision Tuesday night that the boy should be returned to the couple. It also ordered the relevant authorities to issue a new birth certificate with a Christian name, Gebrael told CBS News. He will once again be called Shenouda.
Shenouda was reunited with his foster parents on Wednesday morning
"I was reborn again today. I wasn't alive, he brought life back to me again," Amal Ibrahim told local media at the emotional reunion. "He is the most precious thing to us."
- In:
- Egypt
Ahmed Shawkat is a CBS News producer based in Cairo.
TwitterveryGood! (634)
Related
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Sam Bankman-Fried testimony: FTX founder testifies on Alameda Research concerns
- Activists urge Paris Olympics organizers to respect the rights of migrants and homeless people
- EPA to Fund Studies of Toxic ‘Forever Chemicals’ in Agriculture
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Russia’s envoy uses the stage at a military forum in China to accuse the US of fueling tensions
- Families of Americans trapped by Israel-Hamas war in Gaza tell CBS News they're scared and feel betrayed
- Simone Biles dons different gold, attends Packers game to cheer on husband Jonathan Owens
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- A Japan court says North Korea is responsible for the abuses of people lured there by false promises
Ranking
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- FIFA bans Spain's Luis Rubiales for 3 years for unwanted kiss at World Cup
- Friends' Kathleen Turner Reflects on Onscreen Son Matthew Perry's Good Heart After His Death
- FIFA bans Spain's Luis Rubiales for 3 years for unwanted kiss at World Cup
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Southern Charm's Olivia Flowers Shares Family Update 8 Months After Brother Conner's Death
- Climb aboard four fishing boats with us to see how America's warming waters are changing
- Travis Barker Slams “Ridiculous” Speculation He’s the Reason for Kourtney and Kim Kardashian’s Feud
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Bangladesh top court commutes death sentences of 7 militants to life in prison for 2016 cafe attack
Maine gunman Robert Card found dead after 2-day manhunt, officials say
The war with Hamas pushed many Israeli dual citizens to leave the country. Here are stories of some who stayed.
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
All WanaBana apple cinnamon pouches recalled for potentially elevated levels of lead: FDA
Richard Moll, star of Night Court, dies at 80
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $349 Crossbody Bag for Just $75